"I started my labour in Hexham ..."

About: Hexham General Hospital

I started my labour in Hexham before having to trasfer to the RVI. I then transferred back to Hexham maternity unit for post-natal care and cannot praise the unit or staff enough. I was in for 5 nights and felt completely at ease and in capable hands. It is just a small unit but I think this works in its favour. Any new midwives on staff who I had not already met came and introduced themselves to me.

The standard of cleanliness was excellent, the food was good and overall the experience was a positive one.

It would be nice to have more medical back-up in the hospital so that it is possible to deliver at HMU when there could be complications during birth.

Also the maternity unit could maybe do with some kind of communal area so that mothers are not 'confined' to their rooms.

Response from Hexham General Hospital

Dear Tracy

Thank you for your comments.

Following a review of maternity services within the Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, it was agreed that the Maternity Unit at Hexham General Hospital would be a midwifery led unit and only low risk women are admitted. If any problems do arise during labour the referral pathway is to send women to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne.

With regard to having a communal area in the Maternity Unit, plans are under way to convert space to a patients’ day room, once the phase 3 extension is complete.

I hope this addresses the issues you have raised, and thank you again for taking the time to write.