"Could have done more to make me less anxious"

About: University Hospital Of North Tees

I was recently admitted to North Tees for a pre-planned prolapse repair operation. I arrived, as requested, at 07:45 & was shown to a room in the admission suite where I waited, with my husband, until approx. 10:30. I felt extremely apprehensive about my procedure, especially as I had been told that I would be having an epidural & that I would be conscious during the operation. I had been advised to bring my iPod & to listen to music. I asked both the surgeon & anaesthetist if this would be OK & both agreed. When the staff member came to tell me it was time to go to theatre, she told me quite firmly, that I wouldn't be able to wear the iPod, despite me saying that I had been told it would be OK. This did not help my nervous disposition. Whilst I found most of the staff to be brilliant, I felt that a couple of individuals to be cold & unsympathetic.

Response from University Hospital Of North Tees

We're sorry you didn't have the experience you might have expected and hope you are making a good recovery. Thank you for taking the time to leave a message on NHS Choices.