"My daughter was advised to self-medicate"

About: Ashford Hospital / Walk in centre

(as a parent/guardian),

My 9 year old girl with 10 episodes of vomiting in 10 hours, including one at the Ashford walk in centre was advice to self medicate. Is this your protocol or poor practice from the healthcare officer? This has actually happened to me before. I challenged the Doctor on the day. Unfortunately, I was at Oxford and was not present, this time.

My daughter, friends and myself have always found some staff at the Ashford Walk in Centre very grumpy and unwelcoming. Patients being the centre of healthcare seems an alien concept in the Ashford centre.

If patients are to self-medicate then what is the point of the Ashford walk in centre? Never mind staff attitude.

Response from Ashford and St. Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the treatment your daughter recevied by the NHS. However, whilst it is situated on the same site as Ashford Hospital, the walk-in service is actually part of Ashford Health Centre, which is run by Greenbrook Healthcare and not Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals.

I have passed your comments to them and if you would like to discuss your experiences in more detail, please contact Cathy Makepeace on 01784 884993.