"Let's Talk Wellbeing"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Intellectual Developmental Disabilities /Learning Disability Services – Community (County)

I accessed this service about 8 months ago and due to having Asperger's Syndrome, it did not work for me.

I was expected to do 99% of the 'homework' in my own time and it reminded me of going back to school. I was under the impression it was talking therapy due to the name, but I was wrong. I struggled to do the homework due to my Asperger's Syndrome. I am easily distracted, struggle to concentrate, struggle to manage time etc. I told them this but they would just cut the sessions short as I had not done the 'homework' which was supposed to be discussed.

This service has no clue about any forms of Autism. They did not understand my needs and did not 'get it' at all.

They seem to be the only service round here too.

I went to them hoping for some support with my anxiety, but it actually caused me tons more anxiety over the 'homework'. My husband has a serious spinal condition and often needs my care, which also prevented me from adhering to the 'homework' schedule. My anxiety was another reason I found the 'homework' so difficult, as I had about 10 anxieties whizzing around in my head, I just couldn't manage the extra load on top.

I am disappointed that this service has nobody working for it in this area that understands how people with Autism tick. I will not be accessing it again.

Response from Suzanne Aitken, Deputy Head of Communications, Communications, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Hi there

I am so sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the service you received. We have passed your comments to the Let's Talk Wellbeing team and hopefully someone from the service will be in touch soon to try to address the issues you have raised.

Response from Mick Collins, Clinical Lead , Let's Talk Well-Being Bassettlaw, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Hello, I was sorry to read of your experience within the service.

I would be happy to discuss your concerns and you would be welcome to contact me on 01909 512351 so that we can arrange that.

Thanks for taking the time to feedback.

Response from Involvement Team , Involvement & Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Do you know there is an Asperger’s Community of Interest? This is a group of people who actively campaign for greater awareness and understanding of the needs of people with Asperger’s syndrome? They are not an individual support service but they do work with professionals to try to address issues relating to Autism.

Asperger’s Community of Interest (COI)

Contact: Stuart Walker