"C-Section"

About: Wansbeck Hospital / Maternity care

I was given an early c-section due to pre-eclampsia which I didnt mind.

What started off the day badly was the fact I was left from midnight until back on the ward at 6pm without even a sip of water. It was only due to the fact of the lovely lady bringing round the tea, seeing me 3 times that day and each time saying are you still here, that somebody finally came to see me, even though I had asked for any updates.

Then I went into theatre, where I was waiting to see our gorgeous daughter, who I heard cry and then the cry got further away. Then she was brought back all wrapped up and given to my husband, not even offered to me for a cuddle or kiss. Then after 5 mins they took her into the recovery room to dress her and when I went through she had been given a bottle regardless of how I wanted to feed her.

I am due to have another section at the same hospital next year and I'm just hoping it will be a more positive experience this time!

Response from Wansbeck Hospital

Dear Madam, Thank you so much for finding time as a busy new Mum to give us feedback on the care you received at Wansbeck. I am really sorry that there were a number of things that we failed to get right for you and it sounds like there is quite a bit we can do to learn from your experience. Would you be willing to speak to us to help us understand a little more about your circumstances at the time and what more could have done to be aware of your needs ? We'd want every birth in our hospitals to be very special and I know that the team at Wansbeck will be disappointed to know that your experience fell considerably short of this. If you're willing to be contacted further please let me know - my email is annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk I do hope you and your beautiful girl are enjoying some special moments together at home. With best wishes, Annie Annie Laverty - Director of Patient Experience

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Madam,

Thanks for finding the time, as a new and busy mum, to share your experience of our care. I am really sorry that it has not been a positive one for a number of different reasons including our failure to give you the information you needed or include you at important times.

We'd want every birth with us to be a special one so I am really keen to understand more from you about what we could have done to better meet your needs during your stay. The team will be very disappointed that they haven't met your expectations of care but keen to learn and improve where they can. Please get in touch with me if you think this will help - my email is annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk

I do hope you and your beautiful daughter Jade are enjoying some very precious time together at home.

With best wishes and thanks,

Annie