"Hospital Food"

About: Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

I was recently admitted for the first time to hospital and had my first taste of 'hospital food'.

I am writing in response to the Health and Social Care report which refers to the 'low' amount spend on patient's food at Heartlands and Good Hope Hospital in Birmingham.

I was recently admitted for a week to Good Hope and can say without hesitation that I was very satisfied with the catering. There was a choice of cereal or toast for breakfast which is what I would usually have at home. There was a cooked meal at lunchtime which is more than I would have at home. This was followed by another cooked meal at teatime with cups of tea in between.

I could honestly say that this was more than I actually needed, particularly as I was getting no exercise. With each of these meals, you were given a choice including fresh fruit, the meals could be described as basic and not 5 star but I found them to be acceptable and nutritious.

Had I been at home, I would obviously have been paying for my food so I consider it a bonus that I was not charged for my hospital food. So, in response to Katherine Murphy of the Patients Association and Alex Jackson of the Campaign for Better Hospital Food, I would say, do not make assumptions based purely on the amount spent. I can, obviously, only speak for myself, but, in the current financial climate, if Good Hope/Heartlands are able to provide what I consider to be satisfactory meals for the amount which is being spent, then I would say well done to them.

Response from Margaret Mitchell, Deputy head for patient services, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Huggybear,

Thank you for your posting on Patient Opinion. I hope that you are now in good health and recovering well at home. I will certainly pass on your comments to the catering department as they will be pleased to hear your comments.

Margaret Mitchell