"Flexible sigmoidoscopy - Positive NHS experience"

About: Basildon University Hospital

I have recently had to undergo a flexible sigmoidoscopy and from the outset, the nurses at reception were great! When you come into Reception, a nurse explains the procedure while booking you in. You are then taken to a private area (clean beds with privacy screens) where you are prepped before you go in for your procedure. A very nice doctor comes along and gives you a form to sign, all the while explaining the procedure and inviting questions. Anyone who’s ever had a flexible sigmoidoscopy will know how embarrassing it is (they stick a probe up your backside to see what’s wrong) but from Reception right through to my results, the empathy & knowledge displayed by the staff was amazing. As a bloke, I was initially very embarrassed to be there but the nurses and doctors’ attitudes immediately put my mind at rest. I left the hospital with a fantastic impression of the NHS and would like to thank all the staff of this department for their kind & professional attitude.

Response from Basildon University Hospital

We are so pleased that your recent experience at Basildon University Hospital was a good one. We apologise for the delay in responding to your comments, and we will forward on your kind words to the department concerned.