"Another long wait of over 2 hours..."

About: East Surrey Hospital / Ophthalmology

Went to the Ophthalmology outpatients clinic at ESH again this morning, and as usual had to wait 2 hours 10 mins after my Mum's appointment time to be seen. Doesn't beat our 3. 5 hour record so far though. I think I'll take the latest Man Booker prizewinner next time as even though it's 832 pages long I should easily have time to finish it!

Plus, as usual, there were no unoccupied disabled spaces at the west entrance, I. e. nearest to the outpatient dept, so had to drop Mum off before parking in the main car park. As she also has Alzheimer's she'd wandered off by the time I got back to where I'd left her, so then had the stress of finding her. Finally after the appointment we were charged £4 parking fee due to the length of time we'd had to wait at the hospital.

I hereby challenge the Chief Exec at ESH to take someone that is mobility disabled AND has Alzheimer's for an outpatient's appointment at ESH, to find out just how inaccessible the hospital is for patients with both these conditions. I'll even lend him my Mum for the purpose.

Response from Ian Mackenzie, Director of Information and Facilities, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Frustrated carer,

As the Director responsible for the buildings, car parks and related matters at East Surrey Hospital I would be very happy to take up your challenge! Not because I think we are doing everything as well as we could do, but because I know we're not - but we do want to.

An example is that we have received planing permission to significantly expand and alter our car parks and we want to ensure that they address issues such as the one you describe above and I'm sure you could help us do this.

If you would be interested in doing this I would really like to hear from you. I can be e-mailed at ian.mackenzie@sash.nhs.uk

Ian

Update posted by Frustrated carer (a relative)

How nice to have a response. I have emailed Ian as he suggests, and so hopefully something good will come from this.

Looking forward to talking to you when we're both back from our holidays.

Response from Lynda Filby, Matron, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Frustrated Carer,

As Matron for the Ophthalmology Clinic I am very disappointed to read that each time you attend with your mother you have such a long wait. I would be very keen to meet with you to discuss how we can make things better for you and your mother. My contact details are lynda.filby@sash.nhs.uk.

Lynda

Dear Frustrated Carer,

It was good to talk to you today. As we discussed we have plans to significantly change our car parking arrangements next year and I would like to share the plans for this with you as I would value your opinion on whether this will help address some of the problems you outline above.

Ian