"disgusted at the receptionists attitude"

About: Harmoni / NHS 111

I called the 111 service last week and I am disgusted by the language used by the receptionist.

My mum had collapsed and was bleeding. I asked the receptionist if it was necessary to be asking all the questions, as naturally I was distressed. The receptionist told me to stop shouting and had no sympathy. I explained to her I wasn’t shouting or being aggressive, I was upset and just wanted help for my mum.

I asked the receptionist if I could speak to someone else because I wasn’t happy with her attitude, but she refused. When I asked her name, she wouldn’t provide it, telling me she has given it to me at the start of the call. Obviously due to the circumstances, I couldn’t remember her name. I then phoned back to try and get through to someone else, and the same receptionist answered and then put the phone down.

Instead, I then phoned 999. The paramedics were glad I called as my mother was very unwell. They were marvelous, and it makes me think in future I’ll dial 999 instead of 111.

I really do think that call handlers for 111 should be medically trained.

Response from Amanda Mayo, NHS 111 Service Director, Harmoni We are preparing to make a change

Dear Edge822; This is distressing to read and I would like to investigate this call you made to NHS111 last week myself.

Please would you kindly email harmoni111. feedback@nhs.net with your mothers name, date of birth and date of contact with the service. This will enable me to thoroughly investgate the issues that you have raised.

I hope that your Mother is feeling much better now.