"Keep up the good work"

About: Mansfield & Ashfield

(as a volunteer/advocate),

I came to surestart for the playgroups.

I had started coming when my son was 2yrs old, he is now 13yrs old. so when I had my daughter I began going again through the playgroup. I got in touch with jayne who got me onto a volunteering course which was back in 2011. I didnt have much confidence and felt uneasy at approaching parents.

I was already in community groups when I decided to do a level 2 childrens and young peoples workforce course. I have finished my level 2 and I am currently doing my level 3. my confidence has grown lots and I talk to lots of parents and children. jayne is always available to help me if I feel down or not sure what I am doing, she does a great job of reassuring me that I can do it, having someone believe in you is really good for your confidence.

I was asked the other day what I got from volunteering, I said my confidence has grown, getting to meet and talk to other parents and children, being able to offer a friendly ear to listen to them, and to give advice you know to be true. It makes you feel good and knowing you are helping others by either providing a service like a playgroup or just being able to have a natter to someone makes everyone feel good.

I have come a long way with the support I get from surestart ashfield and all the staff there, everyone is so willing to help you. thankyou very much and hope to be with you for awhile longer.

keep up the good work, it worked for me.

Response from Karon Foulkes, General Manager, Sure Start, Health Partnerships - Nottinghamshire Healthcare

Thank you for providing your insight into the impact volunteering has had on you and of how Jayne has been with you on the journey.

It never fails to impress me the commitment the volunteers in Sure Start Children Centres show in giving up their time to deliver services or support others in doing so. It makes a real difference to other parents who, like you were in the beginning, are feeling unconfident or worried about attending activities. It also helps the services to stay locally focussed and not driven by "targets".

I wish you every success in your NVQ 3 and I will ensure Jayne and the team see your posting