"Waiting lists"

About: St Albans City Hospital

Can someone please tell me why me husband has had his hip operation cancelled twice? The nurse at the seminar asked if everyone had a date for the op and everyone did. Why on earth do you give out dates for an op only to cancel them a few days before.? We have hardly left the house since May when my husband went on the list. We have cancelled two holidays and visits to stay with friends because he was on the cancellation list. So why have we wasted nearly six months and been let down . This is just not good enough. He is in a great deal of pain and he has even tried to get a private hospital bed to no avail because apparently there is an overload. Is this the patients fault or the hospital. I would dearly like to have an answer. His Dr has written twice asking for this to be expedited but to no avail. We will have to resort in asking our local MP or even contact the Advertiser newspaper to look into this dreadful state of affairs. I await a reply.

Response from Antony Tiernan, Director of Corporate Affairs and Communications, Communications and corporate affairs, West Herfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Response from St Albans City Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I'm very sorry to hear that your husband's operation has been cancelled twice. This will be very frustrating. There are many reasons why operations are cancelled, including surgeons being off sick or them having to deal with emergency operations first. We should have explained the reason for the cancellations to you and I would ask you to contract our patient advice and liaison service (PALS) to get the explanation you need. You can call them on 01923 244 366. PALS will also be able to help you with the rescheduling of your husband's operation. Once again, please accept my apologies for your husband's operation having been cancelled and for the poor way in which we have communicated with you about it. To keep up-to-date with the work of our hospitals, visit www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk. Alternatively, you can follow us on Twitter: @westhertsnhs. Antony Tiernan, Director of Corporate Affairs and Communications