"Marion's Restaurant closed again"

About: Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital

Is there a hidden agenda with Marion's Restaurant at Bognor Hospital I wonder. Firstly the NHS Trust changes the food offer by removing all the freshly prepared meals and replacing them with something they call 'chill heat', or something like that, which is far from attractive looking and well tastes like dry out rubbish. What is worrying is that the patients are served this too I understand and they have no choice. Eat it or starve. Secondly the restaurant is now invariably closed for 'Staff Training". No, that not to train the restaurant staff, that is to train the medial staff. Last time I was there some bright spark had place a fully made up bed in the corner of the restaurant ready for the next training day. Is this really the way to run a restaurant in the best possible way, and for the benefit of out patients, visitors and those unfortunate enough to be in-patients. Marion's use to be a great place to eat and their Friday fish and chips were something special as were there roast dinners. Now it really is just tea, coffee and snacks.. I firmly believe that some accountant in the NHS Trust will now be able to justify it's complete closure by virtue of the fact the turnover does not make it viable any longer. And who crated that situation? The Trust itself. Call me syndical but was not that the plan all along. What's in it for the Trust I wonder. Perhaps a nice new training room!!

Response from Nick Fairclough, Head of Marketing, Communications & Intelligence, Sussex Community NHS Trust

Cook-freeze is used in over 300 NHS hospitals nationally, and we shifted to this method to give us a consistent and cost effective approach to inpatient catering at our hospitals across West Sussex. The benefits cook-freeze offers include more choice, more consistent quality and more flexibility to cater for dietary and cultural needs. Patient satisfaction ratings in hospital using cook-freeze are high.

Marion’s is generally open during the day to provide a deli-style service of sandwiches, salads and paninis. I’m sorry that from time to time we need to close the space for purposes such as staff training and apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

Response from Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital

We introduced the cook-freeze method to provide meals for our inpatients at Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital in 2012. Cook-freeze is used in over 300 NHS hospitals nationally, and we are shifting to this method at Bognor to give us a consistent and cost effective approach to inpatient catering at our hospitals across West Sussex. The benefits cook-freeze offers include more choice, more consistent quality and more flexibility to cater for dietary and cultural needs. Patient satisfaction ratings in hospital using cook-freeze are high.” Marion’s is generally open during the day to provide a deli-style service of freshly-made sandwiches, salads and paninis. But I’m sorry that from time to time we need to close the space for purposes such as staff training and apologise for the inconvenience this causes