"My daughter died"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter was admitted to pilgrim. Her canula was left bleeding for hours. The staff denied this. I later found a picture on my late daughter's mobile with canula in situ bleeding and in the background is the ward name. Yet they denied this in a complaint reply. How disgusting.

Also my daughter saw a doctor who did not prescribe supplement drinks although we recommended these. Yet she became so weak she stopped walking. He thought she had an eating disorder, which she denied. Yet she died of chronic diseases, I believe my darling daughter was let down by doctors who get paid to treat and diagnose illnesses. The whole situation is heartbreaking and disgusting.

In my opinion these doctors have failed in their duty of care and should be struck off. Shame on them.

Response from Jennie Negus, Deputy Director of Patient Services, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear a binks,

I would like to apologise for what clearly has been an incredibly difficult time for you and offer our sincere condolences; I cannot even begin to imagine the suffering you have endured in losing your daughter and then to have added concerns and complaints alongside this. I have spoken to our complaints team and been made aware that you have subsequently had to endure significant delays with receiving a response and answers to your questions – this simply is not good enough and as a Trust we recognise that our patients and families have had in many cases a poor experience of our complaints system.

We are currently in the midst of a full review and redesign of our complaints process which has included meeting and listening to people who have made complaints in the past; learning from their experience to ensure we design a service that meets your needs.

I acknowledge and apologise that this is too late for you and I can appreciate your lack of confidence and trust. However I would like to still extend our support and assistance if we can do so.

I understand you are now seeking external support; please be assured that we will help and cooperate in any way we can and if you would like to meet with us to discuss then we will do so willingly.

I know my apology and my response here will sound weak and perhaps too little too late but I hope you will be able to see that we are taking concerns and complaints seriously. Once again we are very sorry.

Response from Chris Sharman, Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust We have made a change

The Trust's new complaints and concerns pathway, 'See It My Way', went live in May 2014.

The complaints service redesign has drawn on feedback from patients who have experienced the previous complaints process, staff who have been involved in dealing with complaints, the complaints service staff who have managed the process and best practice drawn from national reports, research and studies.

It is centred on six overarching principles:

Getting it right