"My daughter has to wait until December for an EEG"
About: Royal Gwent Hospital / General Medicine Royal Gwent Hospital General Medicine NP20 2UB
Posted by smithy1985 (as ),
My daughter is 30 years old and about 9 weeks ago she started having seizures. There is no warning one is coming, she could be sat down and all of a sudden she goes unconscious and starts shaking violently from head to toe. In the 9 weeks she has had about 5 seizures lasting about 20 to 40 minutes each.
Each time she has arrived at A&E via an ambulance we have to tell different doctors what has happened - my daughter has no memory of what has happened. The last time she had one she was at home on her own with her two young boys aged 4 and 1. The oldest one managed to ring my house phone when I asked where was mummy he told me that she was asleep and shivering and he could not wake her.
I told him to look after his baby brother and Nannie would be there now. While I went to my daughters my other daughter kept talking to my grandson on the phone. As I got to the top of my road my husband came home from work so he took me to our daughters. When we arrived my daughter was still unconscious but the boys were ok.
We rang an ambulance and took my daughter to the hospital. On her first time in hospital she was given an CT scan, where she was told that there was an abnormality with that scan so she would have to have an MRI scan - that came back fine.
But because she keeps having these seizures the neurologist wants her to have an EEG of the brain. On her last visit in hospital the doctor told my daughter that she could wait in hospital for 4 weeks to have the EEG or she could go home and still have the EEG in 4 weeks so she opted to come home so that she could be with her partner and 2 sons. When I rang the hospital to find out when her appointment would be we were told that the earliest appointment would be the beginning of December.
So at the moment my daughter’s life is on hold. She can’t be left on her own with the children. She can’t take her son to school on her own. She can’t go to work as she works in a care home looking after elderly people. So she could end up losing her home and her job, as she has to wait until December for her EEG - which could have been done while on the 3 occasions that she was in hospital. She could have had it done, so we would now know what was wrong with my daughter so that she could get on with her life.