"Second new hip = new lease of life"

About: Borders General Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

Following a very successful left hip replacement in October 2012, I had a right hip replaced in August 2013. Both operations were faultless and the whole procedure was first class and quite fast (home after 2 nights in hospital).

All of the staff, from Mr Tiemessen and his team, through pre-op and post-op, to the nursing staff on Ward 9, the cheery cleaners and wonderful caterers get 10 out of 10 from me. You could not have paid for better service.

As a bonus, now that my hip geometry is "squared-off" so to speak, my arthritic right knee (which was a very painful worry and in line for an op) is virtually pain free, and my back pain has diminished to a manageable regime of no heavy lifts, and is not a real problem any more at the moment. I sleep like a baby again.

So I am now looking forward to a long and happy, and pain free, retirement. Thank you all very much.

Response from Stephen Bermingham, NHS Borders

Dear Ettrick Lad

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your secondhip replacement. It was very good to hear that you had another positive experience at the Borders General Hospital. I will pass your message onto Mr Tiemessen and his team, Ward 9 and the hospital catering team.

Best wishes, Stephen Bermingham