"Pre/peri operative treatment exemplary, nursing..."

About: City Hospital campus

I have nothing but the highest praise for my surgeon and anaesthetist. However, nursing care following my surgery was essentially fundamentally lacking in such basics as duty of care. One or two nurses were the exception showing care and dedication. Most however, were totally lacking in care, compassion, empathy, enthusiasm and even basic politeness. It was abundantly clear that patients were ruining their day for them. I left the nursing profession myself 3 years ago, choosing an alternative path to a rewarding career as a Training and Development Manager. My career now involves identifying and analysing performance gaps. I was aghast at the sheer defiance and laissez faire attitude of the nursing staff. With the exception of a couple of dedicated individuals, they were some of the most recalcitrant and unprofessional people I had ever come across. As a strong intelligent person myself, the fact that I was reduced to tears, rolling around in agony following major surgery, is testament to the lack of care and concern shown to patients in their most vulnerable moments. My heart goes out to those poor patients without knowledge of the system, who may not be aware of their rights or who to turn to. It is hard to believe that in this day and age, a catalogue of nursing errors and breakdown in communication could leave me writhing in pain less than 24 hours after major surgery with the only pain relief administered being one dose of paracetamol in an 8 hour period. Not only that but coping with the sarcasm and mocking tones of the nurse responsible for my care. City Hospital should be utterly ashamed of itself!

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Caron Swinscoe

Deputy Director of Nursing

Response from City Hospital campus

I am troubled to read about your observations and experience of nursing care following your recent stay at our City Hospital. I would value an opportunity to speak to you and to discuss further details (including which ward you were on) so that I can look into this personally. I am concerned that our fundamental standards of nursing care and our values and behaviours fell short on this occasion. If you are able to help, please can you contact me directly on 0115 9691169 x76044. Caron Swinscoe Deputy Director of Nursing