"Slow Diagnosis"

About: Pinderfields General Hospital

I was admitted to Pinderfields in June 2012 with what initially was felt to by Pneumonia. I was an inpatient for 3 weeks and took 3 months off work following discharge. I had 2 Bronceoscopys whilst in hospital to diagnose and was told if these were unsuccessful may need a lung biopsy. In June 2013 as an out patient I was advised they were nearly sure what the illness was and would speed up treatment, but until a diagnosis was made no treatment medication could be given. I was eventually referred to St James in Leeds for a Lung Biopsy that took place in early September but a month later have had no further advice on diagnosis, even though was told may take 2 weeks. Nobody appears to know what has happened to the pathology results so left worrying that this may result in the need for another operation. I have tried ringing the consultants secretary continually for the past week and when transferred from the switchboard the phone just rings with no response...must have made approx 15 attempts. I accept that the diagnosis may be complex but for 4 months I have not been able to take medication and feel let down by the service and overall communication. cannot understand why a Lung Biopsy was not progressed following initial issue in June 2012 and how 4 months can be seen as fast treatment when I am left suffering without any medication to assist.

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

We are conerned to note these comments and would be pleased to investigate if the patient would like to contact us directly