"Not a particularly nice experience."

About: Pinderfields General Hospital

Having broken my ankle (talus dome fracture) some 11 weeks ago I am normally a very patient person and having family in the medical profession I have the upmost respect for the NHS however I feel that I have been let down. At first I was told by a consultant that i hadnt broken my ankle and that after 2 weeks I could start weight bearing..even though xrays showed am abnormality. At the next follow up appointment I was then told i could have an orthopaedic support/walking boot fitted and begin to partially weight bare!! It was only due to the fact that they didnt have a big enough boot that I had to wait whilst the consultant reviewed my case again and then decided there was definately a break, i needed a ct scan and was not to weight bare but needed a full cast. And since that appointment I have been told different things but nothing decisive which is no help when i needed to be back at work to earn a living! Having just been 'discharged' from the fracture clinic today i now am being referred to a foot and ankle specialist...11 weeks after breaking my ankle? ...i was also turned away by the physiotherapy department as they were 'too busy' so i am to make my own arrangements for physiotherapy with my GP. So on the plus side i am now able to go back to work...however i cannot run or play contact sports until i have seen the foot and ankle specialist which seems to be most unhelpful as i now dont really want to go to physio and start building the muscles and ligaments back up if theres a chance i will need an operation to clear the joint of bone/cartilage fragments! So all in all (considering i am 24 years old and have never had to call upon the NHS for any reason at all and just want the right treatment) I am not very impressed and I would definately expect an improvement in the way i have been treated!

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

We are concerned to note these comments and would be pleased to arrange for the matter to be investigated if the patient would like to contact us directly.