"Felt cared for during my daughter's birth"

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

I had my daughter at stepping hill, due to being a high risk pregnancy I had antenatal care every fortnight which was very good and I felt well cared for. I thought I felt reduced fetal movements at 38 weeks (luckily everything was ok) and this was taken seriously and I was sent for a scan straight away. I had a caesarean birth and this went smoothly, the surgeons and anaesthetist came and introduced themselves to me before hand and explained the procedure. I was on the post natal ward for three days after my daughter's birth, the staff seemed to try their best but were undoubtedly understaffed and the longer I'd been there the less I was checked on. A few times on the second and third day I would ask for something and then be left waiting as they had either forgotten or were too busy to do it but most of the time requests were dealt with. Due to a lack of paedetricians my discharge was delayed one day, but I was sorted first thing the following morning. Seems a terrible waste of resources though to keep me in an extra day just because there were not enough doctors to check my daughter. Overall though my experience was good and I would recommend Stepping Hill as a place to give birth. I had previously given birth at Wythenshawe and SH seemed a little smaller but more personal. The staff were in the main friendly and helpful.

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I shall feedback all your comments to the relevant team

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

I sincerely apologise that these were not responded to in a timely manner.

This was due to lack of administrative support at the time which has now been rectified.

I would like to reassure you however that your comments were forwarded to the appropriate teams who were pleased to hear that you had a good experience at our hospital.

Patient and Customer Services Manager