"Rapid access for emergency surgery - in and out in 24 hours"

About: Victoria Infirmary / General Surgery

It all started with a general call to NHS24 on Sunday. I had swollen lymph nodes which I had a feeling might have been a reaction to an antibiotic I was taking for an ear infection! They referred me down to the local out of hours service in the Victoria Infirmary.

There was a very long wait due to holiday weekend but the nurse constantly reassured everyone and kept a good control of things.

Access was promised quicker to those in need.

The doctor I saw was very thorough and thought I should be seen by surgeons in the main hospital for further testing. I went straight through but again had a considerable wait, but had an area to sit in - not on a corridor.

A doctor came and examined me and told me I needed to be admitted immediately as it appeared I had a hernia. So much for an adverse reaction!

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Dear Drouthy,

many thanks for your feedback, I will share your kind comments with those responsible for the delivery of the Out of Hours service at the Victoria Hospital, and I am sure they will be pleased to read your very kind comments.

I trust that you have gone on to make a good recovery from your recent ill health.