"Rude Switchboard operators"

I rang the hospital to ask to speak to a doctor who I was trying to contact about a clinic at another hospital. Instead of saying something polite like "Good morning, Royal Throat Nose and Ear Hospital", the operator answered with a brief "Yes!" I said "Is this the Royal Throat Nose and Ear Hospital?" to be told equally rudely as if I was wasting their time, "Yeah, this is the switchboard." I said (as I was being made to feel as if I was wasting their time) "sorry to bother you but...." and they couldnt even find the doctor who my colleague informs me has been working there for years. This is not the first time I have had utter rudeness from staff at this hospital and I will be making an official complaint.

Response from Royal National Throat, Nose & Ear Hospital

We apologise for your experience with the UCLH Switchboard. Improving telephone services at UCLH has been highlighted by both patients and our staff as a crucial area for improving patient experience. Our telephone code of practice sets high expectations of our staff to be prompt, polite and efficient every time they answer a call. Following your experience, we have reminded our administrative teams of the code of practice and the importance of being friendly and helpful at all times.