"my dad admitted after found collapsed"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My father was found collapsed at home on Friday evening and taken to Margate Hospital at 5pm by ambulance. After various tests he was placed in cdu for the night,he was not offered anything to eat until given bread and butter at 7am the next morning( they don't do toast ) he wasn't offered anything else and was too vague to ask.It was decided at 6pm when the doctor eventually came round that he had pneumonia so was placed on antibiotics ( he had no medication until then including the vast amounts of pills he is already prescribed by his own doctor as nobody had checked his notes.My very upset mum had waited all day to speak to the doctor was spoken to in a very arrogant manner by a male doctor who wanted to know his medical history to which my mum asked had the computer broken ( No, the doctor treating my dad had not read his patients notes ) I visited on the Sunday evening my Dad was smelly,hungry,and had still not had his prescribed medication,so I went up to the nurses station to ask why my dad had not received his normal medication to be told in yet again a very defensible arrogant manner that the doctor would do it later ( his medicine includes blood pressure,statins,anti depressant,and other drugs to stop him having another stroke) we are now talking three days and they have not sorted it out ! Anyway my dad is still there, we are into day 6 , he is now having his normal medication and is feeling a bit better, my mum asked if he had a wash or shower last night (5 days in) and they said no ,so she asked if he could (they seemed surprised) but agreed they would arrange it for today ,,,,day 6 so hopefully we are now on the up.Another thing is they are not able to have a tv or a phone in this ward,as my dad is very vague (stroke) he is not really able to read anymore ,so he has spent 6 days staring at the wall,they are not allowed any visitors until after 3 pm it's a very long lonely day when you are woken at 7am for your bread and marg.Just to say iam sure there are are some great doctor's and nurses there,the ward is very clean and my dad says they are kind to him so I don't want to tar them all with the same brush as they say,but to clarify I wouldn't send my dog there voluntarily.

Thank you for providing us with feedback and I am very sorry to hear about the experience your father has had with us. It clearly falls short of the standards we aim to provide. Please do email me your father's details and I will arrange for the Matron to talk with you and oversee your father's care for the remainder of his stay with us.

My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net