"Compassion, dedication and professionalism here at the Nottingham City hospital renal Unit, 'Morton Ward'."

About: Nottingham City Hospital, Renal Unit, 'Morton Ward', Derby Road Health Clinic.; Q.M.C.

My mother has been a renal patient in the care of the Renal Unit here at the Nottingham City hospital for over forty four years.

In recent months she has been admitted to the specialist renal ward called 'Morton Ward' twice very ill. Without exception every member of staff involved in the care of my eighty three year old mother has been remarkable and way beyond my own expectations.

The key to the success of such as ward is 'team work', and there is a team of dedicated, compassionate professionals working in this specialist field based at the Nottingham City Hospital.

To name but a few as all the names I cannot recall, (but even the trainee nurse who held my mother's had as she went down to theatre is included in this praise)

Precila, Jackie, John, Joanne, Lesley, the transplant surgeon Mr. S. Bhattacharsya, the anaesthetists, surgical support team- everyone.

My mother was kept informed every step of the way, shown huge compassion and professionalism throughout her stay in the 'Morton Ward' and her visits to the clinic.

One big concern I feel in regard to the issue of both funding and the ageing population, is that there appear to be more people suffering from dementia and also requiring specialist treatment on a specialist ward, which is a daunting combination to deal with by the dedicated staff.

I do not have an answer for that issue but I have witnessed the unbelievable patience, as displayed by the team that is 'Morton Ward, ' with such patients suffering from both dementia and a specialist illness. The hours they have had to spend juggling many balls in the air, trying to deal with the specialist illness and dementia patients who wander around, randomly lost in their own world...very hard for all concerned.

Anyone who has to be admitted to hospital here in Nottingham, either the Nottingham City hospital or the Q. M. C. can be reassured that the standard of care is exceptional.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for such lovely feedback, which I know will be gratefully received by all colleagues concerned.

It's really pleasing to hear you felt our teams were professional, compassionate and dedicated. We invest much time focusing on how we do things through our values and behaviours work and such feedback proves we are making continuous progress in this important area.

We are caring for more older patients year on year, including more dementia patients across more of our wards. We share good practice from our dedicated dementia ward which opened at QMC a number of years ago and has received national recognition for its approach to dementia care. More our our staff have received dementia training over the last year and we are doing ever more to improve the support we provide to dementia patients and of course their carers.