"Car parking at Wansbeck hospital"

About: Wansbeck Hospital / General surgery

(as a parent/guardian),

Last June I had to take my son to Wansbeck hospital A&E and then to a number of checks after that.

Originally I was warned by a member of staff at reception to hold on to all my parking tickets and I was told to inform the hospital if I was not happy with the car park company as many of the staff were not.

The parking management sent me a notification a couple of days ago of a fine for the last appointment we had at the hospital.

Luckily I had kept all my parking tickets from the very first visit and could verify I had actually paid the correct fee on the day in question. I now hope this will be end of that.

The aggressive tone in the letter and the incompetence of the company don't fill me with confidence. I will make sure I inform the hospital.

Apart from this incident the staff in the hospital were great.

Response from Wansbeck Hospital

Dear Analogue Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am really sorry that your experience of the new car parking system has not been a good one; this is not something that we would ever want for any of our patients or their families. I am sorry that you found the tone of the letter from Parking eye to be aggressive. This is a concern that we raised with the company just yesterday and their representative has taken this back to discuss further and we await their response. It is very important to us that we always communicate with our patients in a respectful and dignified manner, whatever the circumstances. If I can assist you in any way with your appeal against this parking fine, please do not hestitate to email me at Joanne.mackintosh@northumbria-healthcare.co.uk Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. I do hope your son is feeling much better now. Best Wishes Jo Jo Mackintosh - Patient Experience Team

Response from Joanne Mackintosh, Service Improvement Project Manager, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Analogue

I am sorry that you found the tone of the letter from the car parking company to be aggressive. This is a concern that we raised with the company just yesterday and their representative has taken this back to discuss further and we await their response. It is very important to us that we always communicate with our patients in a respectful and dignified manner, whatever the circumstances.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff.

I do hope your son is feeling much better now.

Best Wishes

Jo

Jo Mackintosh - Patient Experience Team

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

With all best wishes,