"My mother's admission to combined assessment"

About: Royal Edinburgh Hospital / Old age psychiatry Scottish Ambulance Service

My mother (85 with dementia) was rushed to the Combined Assessment Unit. No complaints about the treatment there or on the ward. But the paramedics had taken her care notes from the house. They needed them to check out the medication. Oaky, but they disappeared.

I went into CA. It was sheer pandemonium. They had lost the notes. Didn't even have a record of her on the computer. I complained. Got nowhere. Later I wondered why bother. These notes were not all that important. I was trying to alert them to inefficient computer practices.

If they can't take a warning, it's their problem. Not mine.

Response from Stuart Wilson, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, NHS Lothian

Thank you for passing on your comments about your mother’s admission to the Combined Assessment Unit.

I can only apologise that you have been left disappointed by the service your mother received which would appear to be short of what we would expect in the circumstances.

If you would to take this matter further please e-mail more details to our Customer Relations and Feedback Team on craft@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear mallory

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother. How is she doing?

I'm not clear from your post, if the ambulance crew who attended your mother could have helped avoid losing her care notes. If there's something we can learn from what happened, I'd be happy to have a chat with you about this. By all means give me a ring on 0131 314 0065.