"How i was treated in a&e and not being understood"

About: Ninewells Hospital / Accident & Emergency

I am a self harmer and I suffer from mental health issues. I came into Ninewells accident and emergency department. I had harmed myself.

I got off the ambulance bed on to their's in resus. The nurse said I have to call the doctor. I was upset and in pain, took 5 minutes or so to be seen by a doctor who lay me back then roughly attended to my wound and told me i could have just attended to it myself and i just done that to get a ride in a ambulance.

I was upset so I hardly said anything to the doctor. I was still hurting normally if I do this to myself I get gas and air I was not offered this I had to ask for it and got told u dont need it.

The nurse came and started saying u cant get to stay in short stay ward because its busy and she said I don't need it and I was to wait till morning for my dad to drive from his home to Dundee.

I went to get up and I took the pads off that nurse put on I was fearfull and really upset by this time when I got asked to stay in resus. I said I ll wait in waiting room for my dad. she buzzed the doctor the same doctor came into the resus area and by this time I was crying. The doctor took my bags and told me I was not welcome and didn't care if I have to walk around Dundee all night.

I followed the doctor. I began to say that I had no money. The doctor said they didn't care then tried to grab me and pushed me out the entrance.

I was in my nightwear and scared my dad had turned his phones off and I had no where to go if u are a self harmer and u have read my story its shocking that people like me get treated in the manor these people are meant to be caring not violent.

I feel that Ninewells make me worse by attitude and treatment that I get.

Response from Tracey Passway, Clinical Governance and Risk Team Leader, Clinical Governance and Risk, NHS Tayside

We are very sorry to read of your experience this must have been a very distressing experience for you. We will feedback this story to staff however if you want to get in touch with your details that would allow us to investigate further.

Please contact Alison Moss, Complaints & Feedback Lead, NHS Tayside on 0800 027 5507 or email complaints.tayside@nhs.net

• pinky25 thinks this response is helpful

Response from Patient Advice and Support Service National Coordinator, Patient Advice and Support Service

We have read your story and thought you'd like to know that, if you want, we can help you get in touch with NHS Complaints Department mentioned above. The Patient Advice and Support Service is an independent service which provides free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare. We can:

• provide you with information, advice and support if you want to give feedback or comments, or raise concerns or complaints, about healthcare provided by NHS Scotland

• write letters and help you with filling in forms

• help you prepare for meetings with health staff

• help you to see your medical records

• help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a patient

You contact the service via any citizens advice bureau in Scotland. Visit www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk/ or use the phone book to find your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Best wishes