"The ambulance service itself was not good"

About: Croydon University Hospital / Urology Harmoni / NHS 111 London Ambulance Service NHS Trust

(as a service user),

I called the 111 service as my wife was in terrible pain. It transpired that this was due to a kidney stone although we did not know this at the time. We needed the 111 service as it was Sunday and we could not see our own GP.

I was told that a doctor would call me back in about twenty minutes, which he did. His advice was to get my wife to hospital in an ambulance which they would arrange.

The ambulance did not come for 2 hours I’m not sure why but the one that came was not from our area.

We were taken to the Mayday hospital where my wife was seen and diagnosed with kidney stones.

We had a similar experience two weeks earlier – again, we were waiting for an ambulance and had to keep ringing them to find out when it would arrive. My wife was in terrible pain, writhing on the floor. We were also concerned that the pain may be due to problems with an colostomy pouch and therefore keen to get my wife to hospital as soon as possible. It seemed that each time I called the operator was more anxious to check whether I wanted to cancel the ambulance not to try and get one to us sooner.

The 111 service and Mayday hospital were OK, as were the ambulance crew. The ambulance service itself was not good.

Response from Amanda Mayo, NHS 111 Service Director, Harmoni

I am sorry your wife has been so unwell recently. I am pleased that NHS111 was able to help you both. If you would like to forward your details to harmoni111.feedback@nhs.net. I can then pass your details on to the ambulance service who can contact you to discuss the issues that you have raised.

Response from Croydon Health Services NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your wife's experiences with us.

We hope she is feeling better and we are glad that she received good care from our medical team.