"Audiology at Raigmore hospital"

About: Raigmore Hospital / Ear, Nose & Throat

I can only say the only good thing was the politeness at reception. Thereafter, its a disaster. The staff that I have dealt with have been rude, constantly doubt what the patient says, never admit their mistakes or when they are in the wrong. They always assume if there is a problem with your aid, that it must be the patient's fault.

Your treatment isn't discussed with you, and you don't have a say, as they think they know best, and you don't. Yet they do not ask general questions about your day to day life. When you are unable to manage with a new aid, its the patient's fault and you are made to feel as if you are an inconvenience. I know of many other patients who feel the same way but will not say anything as fear it will jeopardise their already poor treatment.

Something needs to be done, as its disgraceful the way some of the staff treat the patient, in particular a member of staff who is the most shocking.

The undercover programme on television, would have a field day at the unprofessionalism of some of the staff and their terrible manner towards some of the patients.

What could be improved? Remind the staff the patient have feelings and have the intelligence to understand and make decisions. And that the patient does know best, not the staff.

Response from Maimie Thompson, Head of Public Relations and Engagement, Chief Executive's Office, NHS Highland

Dear Highland35

What a dreadful experience. I am so sorry and can only apologise. Your last paragraph sums excatly how things should be. Of course you have feelings and should be in control of decisions. This is not how things should be for our patients. I will certainly look into this. But I wonder would you like to get in touch with me directly so we can meet or speak.

My contact details are maimie.thompson@nhs.net or you can call me on 01463 704722

Response from Patient Advice and Support Service

We have read your story and thought you'd like to know that, if you want, we can help you get in touch with the NHS Highland to take this forward. The Patient Advice and Support Service is an independent service which provides free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare. We can:

• provide you with information, advice and support if you want to give feedback or comments, or raise concerns or complaints, about healthcare provided by NHS Scotland

• write letters and help you with filling in forms

• help you prepare for meetings with health staff

• help you to see your medical records

• help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a patient

You contact the service via any citizens advice bureau in Scotland. Visit www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk/ or use the phone book to find your local CAB.

Best wishes

Dear Highland35

I have been discussing your recent positing with the Head of Service in Audiology and she has been looking into things. It would be fair to say that the team are really very sorry that they have come across in an uncaring way. They still cant pin down why this has happened and again would urge you to get in touch so we can really support you and your relative through this poor experience.

Here are the steps we have taken so far. Firstly, I would want to bring to your attention the offer of you either coming back in the see the Head of Service or to let you know that your relative could seek a second opinion if they thought that would be helpful.

Secondly, the Head of Service is meeting with the staff to reflect on the feed-back. They are going to use what you have shared as part of a department training session.

The department does gets lots of feed-back, mostly very positive but we are going to make more of an effort now to capture any poor feed-back, to see what the underpinning causes and how we can improve. We really want to get this right for everyone who comes though the door. If you feel able to share any further insights that would be appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to feed-back and once again I would like to say how sorry we all feel about this.

Update posted by highland35 (a relative)

Dear Maimie

Thank you for your intervention with regards to the Audiology department.

Frankly I'm truly disappointed in the behaviour, as comments and complaints have been made many, many times over the years. I found the department to be disinterested, therefore there were never any improvements. I have found the manner very poor and don't believe the staff I have come into contact with realise it is not a normal way to treat deaf patients.

Once again, thank you for your concerns, however, I'm afraid I have lost all confidence at the moment.

I will be back in touch at a later date.

Kind Regards

Thank you for getting in touch with me by email. Although you are still considering how you would like to take this forward, I thought it would be helpful to update Patient Opinion that you have been in touch with me directly and we are having an ongoing conversation.

I hope we can find a way forward that you will find helpful.

Thanks again for feeding back