"No show by the specialist"

About: Princess of Wales Hospital

After waiting for an hour to see the specialist in the Ophthalmology Clinic I was informed that the specialist would not be turning up after all (no reason given). One can imagine the annoyance this evoked, especially as I was still clutching my appointment letter that went into great detail bemoaning the fact that "Patients who Do Not Attend (DNA) their appointments have an enormous impact on the healthcare system..". Oh, the irony! What a colossal waste of my time, but then again this is the NHS so maybe one shouldn't be surprised.

Response from Princess of Wales Hospital

Thank you for raising this, the Ophthalmology clinic is provided by Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust (CCS). CCS contract for the delivery of this service from another NHS provider, on this occasion, we were not advised by the provider that the Doctor would not be attending. We are taking this very seriously and have asked the provider to investigate this, we understand that the Clinician was asked to attend elsewhere and did not realise that the clinic at Princess of Wales Hospital had not been cancelled. We understand that staff on duty sincerely apologised and offered all patients alternative appointments. This is a very rare occurrence one which we were not able to predict we are working with our provider of medical staff to ensure that where clinics are needed to be re-scheduled that we are given adequate notice to re-arrange patients appointments.