"Cellulitis"

About: Hertfordshire & Essex Hospital / Minor injuries unit

On Monday the 9th of September I went to the minor injury unit with a swollen left ankle and knee.I was sent for an X-ray.I was shown the X-ray to see how swollen it was but there was no damage to my leg.I was told to keep it up and to take painkillers.The following morning I was convinced there was a problem,so I went back to the walk in centre.The doctor immediately started making phone calls as soon as she looked at my leg.I was told to go to orthopaedic dept at PAH Harlow ,and that they are expecting me. On my arrival I was seen in A&E and told that I had Cellulitis.I had no idea what this was but once explained I realised how serious this was.I was hospitalised for 2 nights.Before even getting to my hospital bed a cannula was put in my hand to start the treatment.After 3 days of medication the redness had gone and was told that the infection was starting to go. I'm at home now,still very swollen but my medication is helping. My point is ,if I hadn't gone back to the walk in centre on that Tuesday morning and asked for another opinion the it's a bit frightening what might have happened.

Response from Shahid Sardar, Head of Patient Engagement, Patient Safety and Quality, The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust

Dear Stephen,

The Minor Injuries Unit at Herts and Essex is run by Herts Community NHS Trust and so I have passed your feedback on to them to respond, In general they are able to resolve issues immediately as they occur if you email pals.hchs@nhs.net. The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust PALS team is at pals@pah.nhs.uk.

I am pleased you were able to finally get the treatment you needed and agree there are questions which you will need to receive answers for so I have forwarded your concerns to the pals.hchs@nhs.net address to get a response.

PALS at The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust is on 01279 827084 or by email at pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Response from Linda Norton, Clinical Quality Manager, Patient Experience Team, Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust

I am very sorry that you have had cause to raise these concerns. I have investigated your experience at the MIU and, as you appeared well and the doctor did not detect any symptoms of cellulitis that would have indicated more urgent treatment, you were advised to contact your GP if your condidtion did not improve.

Unfortunately, conditions can change very quickly and this appears to have been the case with your situation, I am very sorry that you had a poor experience of using our services and pleased to hear that you have now made a full recovery.

Debra Hubbard