"Inconsistent experience between 2 local hospitals"

About: The Royal Victoria Infirmary / Accident & emergency Wansbeck Hospital / Accident and emergency

My Step Father was admitted in late August at 1 o'clock in the morning. He was put in a cubicle and was told someone would see him. He was seen shortly after for his details. He was never seen any more that night because he discharged himself. There were plenty staff but it seemed they were just standing talking to each other, showing no interest whatsoever in finding out the problems he was having. In early September we took him to the RVI where upon our arrival he was cared for and looked after properly. He was sent for tests and found out his problems that afternoon. Nothing was a bother for the staff there. My Stepfather says he will never go to Wansbeck again.

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Claire,

Please could you get in touch with me on annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk or my mobile if you prefer 07876502899. I am aware from your 4 different posts on the website today that you have a number of frustrations about care at Wansbeck and all of them concern me greatly.

I have to be honest with you and state that I just don't recognise the behaviour of the staff that you describe in the story about your stepfather. We spend a lot of time listening to the views of patients and families and whilst we don't always get everything right, we are far more used to hearing feedback of our staff's compassion and willingness to work really hard in A&E.

I accept that this is certainly not been the case for you but I hope you will understand how seriously I am taking these concerns and how keen I am to act to improve where we need to.

Please do get in touch. I'd be very keen to meet you. I know that this is a very difficult time for you but I would be grateful if we could have some contact so that I can take some time to understand why you feel as strongly as you do about your local hospital.

With many thanks,