"I waited three days for a scan"
About: Chesterfield Royal Hospital / General surgery Chesterfield Royal Hospital General surgery S44 5BL
Posted by Disgusted of Dronfield (as ),
I was taken ill with severe stomach pain in September. My GP diagnosed acute appendicitis (a clear diagnosis) and I was admitted to the Royal Hospital Calow Chesterfield as an emergency the next day.
I was not visited by a doctor for assessment immediately. it was the evening before I was assessed in the Emergency Admissions Ward. although the symptoms I described to the Doctor were classic apendicitis, he told me he believed it to be diverticulitis.
I was sent for an X-ray in the evening. I was given no feedback or results from this X-ray. I was then moved to Barnes Ward, bay 3.
I was told I would be sent for a scan. However, they told me that there was a backlog and the scan didn't take place until three days later. They confirmed at this stage that the appendicitis had now ruptured and leaking puss; that had it not ruptured, it could be removed but that this now could not be operated on because it had now ruptured. Bearing in mind I had been there for 48 hours, and the morphine did not touch the pain, I feel this delay was unacceptable. I also believe that had the scan happened straight away, it would not have ruptured. I feel the hospital has been negligent in this respect.
I told the nurse when I was admitted on that I had pain in my neck (I have spondilitis) and asked for some pain relief. I asked specifically for topical ibuprofen; this is how I usually manage my own pain. I was in such acute and unbearable pain, I felt the need to pace around the ward, causing further pain in my abdomen.
My daughter visited on Thursday evening and asked a nurse why this had not yet been provided over 24 hours after arrival. She was told this couldn't now be collected from the pharmacy because it had closed. My daughter let them know she was unhappy to hear of this poor patient care and said that had she been told, she would have provided this herself, which she did. I was very grateful she did, because it took the nurses 48 hours to provide this.
On Saturday evening, I was seen by a doctor who told me that in all likelihood, I would be sent home on Monday. I questioned the wisdom of this considering I have a ruptured appendix and there is a high risk of serious infection. Although I understand that I have to be treated with antibiotics so that the infection can sufficiently reduce so that an operation can be done safely, I consider the hospital to be the safest place for me to be. The doctor said that my white blood count was encouraging, so I told the doctor I wanted to stay in hospital and have the appendix removed as quickly as possible.