"Aftercare inconsistent"

About: Wrightington Hospital

I had a TKR in July the year. My problems started at admissions. I rang as advised in my letter to be informed they did not have my consultants list and therefore could not help me but "to come along anyway". My admissions was anything but smooth and whist the anaethetist, theatre staff, consultant and recovery ward staff were exemplary the rest of my stay was badly tainted by the lack of attention to patient care. My first three days were spent in the JCW where the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. However, on day 3 I was informed I would be moving to Ward 5 as my room was needed for another patient. Ward 5 - horrendous is all I can say. There's a vast difference in the nature of the staff, some showing total disregard for the patient. Thought constantly coming to mind was "I am not an interruption to your day. I am the reason for it". Attitude to questions resulted in arrogant responses from nursing staff. They knew best! No compassion, care or consideration for the patient or their concerns Patients when ringing for help we're often told "ok, I'll be with you in a minute" resulting in as much as a 15 min wait. I was relieved to be going home after only one day spent there. I don't regret selecting Wrightington as my chosen hospital, would I choose again - only if I was assured I would not have to endure the utter misery of a stay on Ward 5!

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry that this was not as postive as we would wish for anyone choosing to have their care at this Trust. May I ask that you contact the Patient Relations Department to arrange for you to discuss your experince with a senior representative from the Trust.