"Most unpleasant experience!"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

I am disabled & walk with difficulty using sticks. I arrived in plenty of time for my appointment but once again the parking was horrendous. Luckily after 5 minutes a disabled bay became free. I still had to walk around the hospital to where my appointment was & as time was getting on I walked across the grass as many people were doing to cut out walking all the way around the road. What I didn't account for though was that it had been raining! I fell over & had a great deal of trouble getting back on my feet. Hospital staff were walking past just watching me, nobody offered to help. By the time I got to the part of the building where my appointment was I was late, only by 5 minutes but the Doctor refused to see me at first. They could see that I wasn't making up a story because I was all muddy. Eventually the Doctor agreed to see me but insisted that I was 15 minutes late (that was the time he'd actually agreed to see me) & I went in 30 minutes after my appointment time. The Doctor was quite off-hand with me & I was almost in tears when I left because I felt humiliated & was in so much pain. I felt even worse when at my next GP appointment, she read his letter to me. He'd told her that I was 30 minutes late for my appointment and so he'd discharged me & referred me back to my GP! Well that is one way of reducing Hospital waiting times but a very dirty trick played on me by that Dr! I can't help thinking that if any of the staff, who had walked on by me when I was in a heap on the ground, had helped me back to my feet I wouldn't have been late & the outcome could have been so much different. I have never met such a cold heartless Doctor before & hope I never do again! When I have a choice in my choose & book appointments now, I will never choose Kent & Canterbury Hospital again even though it means I will have to travel further to be seen!

Thank you for providing feedback and I am sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience, this falls far below the standard of care we would expect. Please accept my apologies, email me your details and I will follow this through for you. My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net

I also note the difficulty you had with parking and walking to your out-patient appointment, I would like to follow this through to see what information we provided for you to see if we could improve the information about your appointment.

Thank you again for the feedback, we do aim to learn from poor patient experience to see what we can do to improve.