"A little bit of empathy would have made a big difference"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Trauma and orthopaedics

On my visit to e 16 my brother had just been told that he was going to have to have his leg off and understandably he was shocked, upset, confused.

And when asked a question by one of the nurses he misunderstood what she meant and he got a bit worked up.

I found the attitude of the nurse was disgusting. I think some training in bed side manners would be good my brother was scared at the news he just had and a little bit of empathy would have made a big difference rather than what I feel was a bad attitude.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

I’m sorry to hear that you felt one of my colleagues did not communicate with your brother in the way that we would wish when breaking bad news. I would like to talk to you further about your concern so that I can speak to the relevant colleague directly to ensure that we do better for future patients. If this is agreeable with you, please contact me directly on 0115 969 1169 ext 57017 or via email to Lesley.Reilly@nuh.nhs.uk.

Lesley Reilly – Clinical Lead for Diabetes, Infectious Diseases, Renal and Cardiovascular directorate.