"I could turn up at the x-ray department ..."

About: Royal Blackburn Hospital

I could turn up at the x-ray department and have a x-ray taken within 1.5 hours.

I was in pain after falling on my knee ,my doctor refered me to the hospital for an x-ray so he would know how to treat my knee.The x-ray department told me that it would take 2 weeks before my doctor received the results,I contacted my surgery to see if they could speed things up as I am suffering day and night with the pain.They told me there was nothing they could do and it was normal to have to wait this length of time for x-ray results..Why should I or anyone have to suffer for a further 2 weeks when the answer to my problem lies dormant in your x-ray depatment ?.

Response from Royal Blackburn Hospital

The Radiology Department is extremely busy and we provide over 1000 results per day to GP’s, Wards, Outpatient Clinics, the Emergency Department and other hospitals. Each image has to be evaluated by a Consultant Radiologist, Specialist Registrar or Advanced Practice Radiographer. We aim to provide results as soon as possible and the 2 weeks indicated is an estimation for delivery and is usually met before this time. We are hoping to introduce electronic distribution of results to GPs in the next few months and this should improve the process. The department apologises for any distress this has caused you.