"Total lack of sensitivity"

About: Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

I unfortunately had to have a D&C at this hospital following a diagnosis that there were fetal abnormalities inconsistent with life. Most of the staff I saw were very caring and sensitive, however my lasting memory is of the doctor who performed the D&C. When we asked them what would happen to our baby following the procedure they confirmed that "it wouldn't be thrown out with the chopped off legs". At the time I was too shocked to say anything but their words broke my heart and made an already horrendous situation worse. I also tried to ask questions about the risks associated with a D&C and their conclusion was "look if I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't recommend you did it". In summary they were appalling, even the midwife who was in the room winced at some of their comments. I then had absolutely no follow up after the D&C and had to have a private scan to diagnose retained tissue. So despite some of the staff members being lovely my overall experience was terrible.

Response from Patient Engagement & Experience Administrator, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for sharing your story and I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced at the RD&E Hospital. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and ask if you would like to call the Patient Engagement and Experience Team on 01392 402363 or 403915.

Tracy

Response from Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Thank you for sharing your story and I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced at the RD&E. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and ask if you can call the Patient Engagement and Experience Team on 01392 402363 or 403915. Kind regards Tracy