"dreadfull care"

About: Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General / Cardiology

My relative was admitted as a "boarder" to F3 Cardiolology at the western Infirmary Glasgow. Throughout his stay we were repeatedly told he is a boarder and we cannot tell you anything about his care. The nursing staff told me they did not know his Consultant because he was a "boarder". Despite me telling the nursing staff that he needed assistance with self care including washing and shaving he was left to shower on his own and the seat in the shower where he was left to shower on was marked "broken -do not use". he was left on the ward unshaved and I personally witnessed soiled hospital gowns sitting on a radiator for two days - so much for hospital cleanliness and their aim to reduce hospital acquired infections, and yes I have taken pictures to prove my point! !

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Thank you for your posting, I was very sorry to read that your relative's experience was as poor as you have recoubted here, and this is certainly something we want to follow up on your behalf.

We would like to investigate this further, if you are able to provide me with some further details we can look into the circumstances in more detail. You can contact me by emailing paul.cannon@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

I very much hope that you are able to do so, in the meantime I will forward your posting to those responsible for the management of that ward so that they are at least aware of this feedback.

I look forward to hearing from you.