"Involvement went along to Thorneywood, CAMHS to collect feedback and comments"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services – Community(County)

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Involvement visited Thorneywood on the morning of 5th September to gather feedback for the Patient Feedback Challenge. Below are 4 statements that we were able to collect about peoples' experiences:

"Needs to be more child friendly and brighter.

TV to work - it would distract thoughts of appointment.

More magazines - fashion, teenage and child friendly. "

"TV = it is never on. Been coming for a year. "

"Waiting room - it should be more comfortable - maybe sofas instead of chairs. It feels too much like a doctors waiting room which people associate with illness.

Magazines should be up to date and there should be more choice. The staff are very friendly. "

"My daughter has been on the waiting list for Talking Therapy. She was put down as 'high priority', but seven months later, we have heard nothing.

Talking Therapy would have been greatly beneficial at the start. My daughter thankfully is much better now without therapy.

All staff at Thorneywood have been kind and helpful.

Uncomfortable waiting room. Chairs are hard and too high for smaller people."

Thank you for taking the time to feedback. I have passed the comments onto CAMHS for comment. There are lots of things mentioned here that would improve the experience of people coming to CAMHS.

It was good to read some lovely comments about staff and services

Best Wishes

Response from Richard Glover, Team leader, CAMHS South, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS trust We have made a change

Thank you very much for the feedback provided via the Patient Feedback Challenge. I am pleased to hear that in spite of some of the difficulties encountered by our patients that the experience provided by our staff is both 'kind and helpful'.

Rest assured that the waiting room, its contents and particularly its decor has been a great source of debate within our Service User/Carer Group and as a response, a group of young people have already begun to redecorate the area and are enthusiastically participating in this process and in transforming what is ultimately ‘their’ surroundings. With regards to the television I have discussed this with our service Manager and I am assured that plans are afoot to have this working within the very near future also.

Finally, with regard to the wait that has been experienced for 'talking therapies' I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to know more about this family/young person's experience so that I can personally address this in further detail.

Many thanks