"Ambulatory Care Unit"

About: Stepping Hill Hospital / Cardiology

Admitted to the unit by my GP who thought I had a DVT (blood clot). I was assessed by the nurses and basic checks done like bp/blood tests/calf measurements etc all done with much kindness and understanding due to my history of severe misdiagnosis at the same hospital which made me slightly anxious. Then I was seen by a Dr who ruled out DVT on the results given. However he was concerned about what is causing symptoms and said I needed scans etc but to go home and I would be telephoned to go back for the scans to save me waiting around (as I was in pain).

I went home and as I had still not been contacted by 1pm the following day, I rang the unit and was put on hold until a nurse explained seemingly rather abruptly that I wouldn't hear for days yet and that I would get a letter first and then an appointment. Maybe this should be explained before discharge so an already nervous, in pain patient does not sit waiting for the phone to ring and cancels that day's and the next day's appointments to do so!

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to comment I am sorry that what started out well did not carry on well. Please write to me at Patient and Customer Services so we can investigate how this happened.