"Brilliant care if you ever get an appointment"

About: Russells Hall Hospital

My two children and I regularly attend the Opthalmology Department at Russells Hall Hospital and the service we receive is brilliant. The doctors are very caring and know what they are talking about / doing (except for one bad experience I had when I was pregnant). My issue is that appointments always seem to be re-arranged or never made in the first place. I am constantly phoning up trying to arrange three sets (my two children and mine) of appointments that then get moved to months in the future If the appointment booking system was better then I would highly recommend this hospital however, I have been repeatedly let down by appointments being changed / never booked in the first place. I understand that the department is currently down a consultant (i think...) but I was transferred from Dudley Guest when it closed and there were never these problems there.

Response from Russells Hall Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences of our Ophthalmology Department. It is wonderful to hear that you and your family have received a high standard of care on most of your visits to the department. It is disappointing however to hear that you have had problems surrounding appointments. We acknowledge that there have been long standing issues relating to the availability of appointments in this department. These have been caused mainly by the increase in patient demand and the difficulty to recruit more staff due to a nationwide shortage of ophthalmology specialists. We are still advertising for a full-time specialist doctor, but have recruited two additional clinicians on a temporary basis to help us in the interim. We hope that this recruitment will help us to provide a more timely and smooth running service for our patients.