"Unhappy with care for laparoscopic cystectomy"

About: Watford General Hospital / Urology

I went to Watford hospital for a laparoscopic cystectomy back in December 2012, it was the worst experience I have ever had!

A doctor never bothered to come and explain how my surgery went, my mum had to go and ask at reception how it went, I was nil by mouth prior to my op and when I woke up I asked for water and waited an hour and a half for water, it was disgusting to have to wait that amount of time for water!

The only doctor that I saw only checked my stitches. Since I had to stay over night I understood they had to wake me up to take painkillers but only gave me paracetamol for the pain, which I refused as it hasn't help relieve pain for me for years.

Then to top off my night there at 1am the nurse woke me up to take me off my drip, I then overheard the nurses discussing the fact that they had to take me off my drip to give it to someone else since they didn't have enough to go around.

Finally I got told at 11am I would be discharged, so in excitement I told my mum over the phone and she came straight over to collect me. I eventually got discharged at 5pm that day then had to wait another hour to get my fit/sick note for work. I would most definitely not recommend anyone to ever receive treatment at this hospital.

Response from Antony Tiernan, Director of Corporate Affairs and Communications, Communications and corporate affairs, West Herfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for letting us have feedback about your stay at Watford Hospital. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in replying.

I am clearly very sorry that the care we provided wasn't to the standard it should have been. I have shared your comments with our urology team and asked them to make sure the relevant staff see it.

We would of course been happy to take a more detailed look into what happened if that would help. If this is something you'd like to pursue then I'd ask you to please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). Their email is pals@whht.nhs.uk or you can call 01923 217 198.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need to. My email is antony.tiernan@whht.nhs.uk or you can call 01923 436 229. Alternatively, you can tweet me: @AntonyTiernan.