"Ringing 111 regarding allergic reaction to antibiotics"

About: East Surrey Hospital Harmoni / NHS 111

I telephoned 111 late evening in mid August as being treated for an allergy on my lower legs I then found a rash had developed on my back, and front and was very itchy. This seemed to be after having a different antibiotic from usual ones I have had before.

Details were taken and I was told a Dr. would call back within 30mins. After waiting an hour 'phoned again explained it all again to another person who logged it in and made a note I had not been 'phoned. I said if not rung back in 10 mins I would go to A&E

My husband insisted we then went to A&E and I was treated there, now time being midnight! Came home about 3:30am with a message on 'phone from a Dr. which was timed on 'phone as 2:00am (what good was that I ask you) asking me to telephone and leaving a number. I did not ring then as not necessary. The Dr. rang again at 8:00am saying he thought I might have been asleep. Replied No and that I went to A&E. He asked if I was sorted and apart from being extremely rude said Yes I was.

If I had been on my own or my symptoms had been worse what good is waiting on the end of a telephone for advice it would then have been a 999 call. I am not at all impressed with this system and would not use it again.

I cannot understand all the questions not relating to my problem being asked and then to cap it all you are not 'phoned back for hours.

Response from Amanda Mayo, NHS 111 Service Director, Harmoni

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experiences with NHS111 and the Out of Hours service.

If you would like us to look into the issues you have raised, please can you email your name, date of birth and date you called the service to harmoni111.feedback@nhs.net and we can investigate your concerns

Response from Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager, Marketing and Communications, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear DaisyB

many thanks for taking the time to post your comments - I hope your have had an answer from NHS 111.

kind regards