"care of the elderly"

About: Peterborough City Hospital

I recently stayed in the ESS ward, and although I had to wait a long time to see a consultant, it gave me time to see what went on in the ward. There was one young man in particular, who I don't have a name for, who spent a lot of time looking after the very intimate needs of elderly ladies. Washing, wiping bottoms, changing pads and nightwear etc. He did this with great care and diligence. I truly admire him. He was a credit to the ward. Although on the other hand I do think changing aprons and glovers every two minutes is a bit of a waste. !! I realise hygiene is a top priority, but it does seem to go a bit over the top.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for letting us have your feedback following your stay on our Emergency Short Stay ward (ESS) and I do hope that you are now feeling better. I am sorry that you had a long wait to see the consultant however every patient on ESS is reviewed by a Consultant at least once a day and this does sometimes mean that some patients experience a delay.

Thank you for such lovely comments about one of our male nurses and whilst it may seem a bit of a waste to change gloves and aprons so frequently as part of our commitment to ensuring high standards of infection control staff are encouraged to wash hands between patients and to change gloves and aprons when moving from one patient to another if they are undertaking direct patient care.

Once again thank you for taking he time to give us such lovely feedback and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the staff in ESS.