"Review of medical test results"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital

I was a fit healthy man. i had not seen a GP for in excess of three years. I then developed severe breathing difficulties, the consultant referred me for a lung function test, this department kindly bought forward my appointment date because of my distressing symptoms. However the consultant then failed to review the results!. I telephoned on three separate days and only after launching a formal complaint did I get a call to say he had reviewed the results, 13 days after the tests. He advised referral for an urgent CT scan, now 6 days later and have not even received an appointment letter. What does this hospital consider to be normal for Urgent CT scans and how long should a patients test results sit in an In Tray.

Response from Suzanne Brooker, Head of Patient Experience, Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Hi Steve please accept our apologies that you felt you had to wait too long for a CT scan referrral.

I understand you now have an appointment.

The scan was not marked up as urgent and was therfore processed in the normal way.

I will ensure your comments are taken forward.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

I am extremely sorry and concerned to read this. If the matter has not yet been resolved, please do contact me so I can identify who you are and look into the matter more closely. Thank you Thelma Riley Imaging Department 01634 830000 x3022