"Nuclear medicine department making good decisions"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General surgery

I needed to have a scan in the Nuclear medicines department at East Surrey Hospital. I had been in acute pain with severe muscular chest problems.

I was asked to lay down on the scanner bed but told the staff that I had not been able to lay flat for several days because of my injury. The staff, one was called Kevin, tried to assist me down onto the table by supporting me, but the pain was excruciating.

Kevin took me to the adjoining room whilst reassuring me that he would try something else on their new scanner, which was only 3 weeks old at the time. He said he hadn't tried what he was about to do, but he thought it would be possible to scan me whilst I stood against the new scanner unit.

His experiment on me worked out very well and the scans he was able to get were able to assist greatly in my diagnosis.

Thanks very much Kevin. What a professional!

Dear JFRH9

It was great to read your comment about the Nuclear Medicine department and in particular the care you received from Kevin. I will ensure that your comment is passed to him.

It is also really good to read that our staff feel that empowered to try new things when they are in the interests of patients and your story illustrates this really well. It also helps that we have recently installed a new scanner in the department that allows Kevin and others to do their jobs so well.