"I did not feel confident"

About: Royal Gwent Hospital / Accident & Emergency

Referred by GP as I had problems, I had surgery elsewhere the day before and still in recovery. Arrived at A&E at 5pm on Friday and discharged myself after waiting 5 hours

- No welcome from reception,

- No communication from staff about when and by whom you will be seen and only procedure was having blood taken after 3 hours waiting.

-Unprofessional and casual approach to work, medical staff e. g Drs. chatting to colleagues about personal issues and spending a lot of time on computer and not engaging with patients (nurses were rushed off their feet. ) Other uniformed staff were hanging around, unsure of their role in the caring process

-Blood was taken from a patient in the waiting area and her partner had to hold the tray with the instruments.

Staff did not always use gel or was hands after procedure.

-Patients personal details were heard as care was being discussed.

-Patients were waiting in cubicles partially dressed and I could see one patients private parts as the curtains in every case were left open.

- None of the patients who arrived before me left during my stay and some had been there since lunch time.

- Not enough chairs in waiting area so had to stand up or wait for one to become available if you left for a procedure. One patients took her chair with her wherever she went.

-Environment noisy, unclean and felt like a cattle market rather than hospital.

- When I enquired about the length of wait I was told Drs. were in handover and would see me in 20 mins, was still waiting 1hour and a half later. I commented that I received better care in a developing country recently.

Other patients commented about the lengthy wait but none complained.

All the staff on duty appeared to be junior, the highest grade mentioned was Registrar.

I left because I did not feel confident that I would get the right diagnosis or help.

Response from Julian Hayman, Internal Communications Manager, Communications, Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Hello Liberty,

I am sorry to hear about your experience in our A & E department at the Royal Gwent Hospital.

Our Putting Things Right Team manages patient concerns and they are always happy to provide advice and support during an investigation and resolution of a concern.

If you do feel dissatisfied with the treatment or care you have received, please contact our Putting Things Right Team in writing, by email or by telephoning us.

Please Email: Puttingthingsright.ABHB@wales.nhs.uk