"Catering at Broomfield"

About: Broomfield Hospital

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter is currently a patient at the Broomfield hospital and obviously I visit her every night

To my utter astonishment there is nowhere in the hospital that a hot meal can be purchased and as I understand it this is the same situation for both visitors and staff

Princess Alexandra Hospital at Harlow has a fantastic catering facility that is open to both staff and patients and offers good quality food at value for money prices.

Whilst it is very inconvenient for me as a visitor to be unable to get a meal, for staff it seems totally unfair

Response from Jonathan Wright, Patient Experience & Voluntary Services Manager, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to post regarding our services. Our Director of Estates & Facilities Management has given the following statement.

Our patients are catered for by our patient catering department and our patients are offered an a la carte menu, of both hot and cold menu items to choose from. Provision is made for those patients who might have a special dietary requirement.

The Trust has a small cafe open between 7am and 3pm week days open to the public and staff -providing predominantly hot food and this offer is supplemented by a number of retail outlets and vending machines for visitors and staff. We believe that it is important to ensure funds intended for patient care are not diverted to subsidise staff or visitors food provision.