"Thank you Doctor and all in A and E"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I was taken to A and E by ambulance. I was scared because I had no real idea of why I had driven my car onto the verge at the side of a busy road, nor how I had been taken away in an ambulance - all of that was a blank. Might as well have been an alien abduction for the sense I could make of it. However, I realised there could be any number of reasons and unfortunately could catalogue each one in terms of degree of seriousness. Mind racing with anxiety once I started to feel more normal, I would like to thank everyone I saw for their courtesy, for preserving my dignity and for doing everything so quickly. I know why it was necessary to do the tests performed and I am truly grateful for my impromptu MOT, but everyone was so kind, from the radiographer, to the nurse who explained what was happening to the truly charismatic doctor, that I stopped worrying and just trusted myslef to be in good hands, whatever the final outcome. There was a real sense of professionalism emanating from each person I saw in A and E that day and a sense that I actually mattered to them as an individual - my well-being counted for something. Thinking back now that I am able to do so, I realise how closely I was being observed at all times and those personal assessments were the ones that made the difference - the routine tests confirmed what knowledge, expertise and experience had already suspected, and that must surely be the healthier way forward? I was asked for my opinion and for my experience - as I know myself quite well after all of these years, that was a relief too! Everyone wished me well as I left, and I felt like shouting to everyone else there how precious such a resource is, and the people who work within it each day and night and how we should do our utmost to preserve it. I hope the remainder of the public there that day went home, like me, to carry on our lives as if nothing had happened, thanks to the staff at QEQM. I hope the doctor can be thanked personally on my behalf. The fact that he spoke to me as if at least a few of my brain cells were still intact was instrumental in enabling me to keep a sensible perspective. Had there been anything more serious to impart, I am sure it would have helped me to remain calm and think logically about my options, and I am very grateful for this approach that he took. I was impressed by everything I heard and saw around me too - this praise is not just in recognition of my own experience but the quality of care afforded to others. This knack of knowing how to work with people who are feeling distressed by definition is something I heard from nurses too, with people of various ages. I hope some people find the time to thank you all.I certainly do.

Thank you so much for providing such inspirational feedback on your experience, I will ensure staff receive your message, they have been particularly busy again lately and so they will appreciate the feedback.

We are very proud of our staff who strive to provide an excellent service with kindness and sensitivity. I do hope you continue to recover from your accident.