"Lack of care at Early Pregnancy Clinic"

About: Luton & Dunstable Hospital / Maternity

In early August I called the Early Pregnancy Clinic to seek advice on behalf of my partner, as she was in the process of miscarriage due to a failed pregnancy.

I spoke to a member of staff. I asked to speak to one of the nursing staff & I was told that they were all too busy to come to the telephone. I asked if the person I was speaking with was able to deal with my enquiry & she assured me that she was.

I then described my partner’s history, diagnosis, present condition & distress due to her miscarrying.

When I asked what I / we should do next, this person LAUGHED at me & flippantly said “nothing". At this point I asked to speak to her supervisor as I was upset & deeply offended with the manner in which she had laughed at me & then denied laughing. She then reluctantly passed the telephone on to a member of clinical staff who I then made my initial complaint to. This person was able to help with my enquiry & then explained the complaints procedure.

I cannot believe the lack of care shown to me & my partner at a very distressing time by this member of staff. I complained using the PALS procedure.

Response from Luton & Dunstable Hospital

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given. We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.